One of the best ways to spice up your usual natural or transitioning hair routine is to incorporate roller sets into your rotation. Perm rods in particular are an amazing way to play around with different curl sizes and switch up your look with full bouncy curls, or tight, kinky-curls.
To date, this protective style is the one I’ve gotten the most compliments on and I highly recommend it to ladies who are transitioning and looking for ways to disguise those stringy ends (like me)! I’m excited to post my very first natural hair tutorial so that I can share all of my tip and tricks to master a beautiful perm rod set!
What you’ll need:
1. Strong, but flexible holding gel
- Personal favorite: Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel ($3-5)
- Great substitutes: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel ($4), Kinky Curly Curling Custard ($17)
2. Curl-defining smoothing cream
- Personal favorite: SheaMoisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie ($11-12)
- Great substitutes: Cantu Coconut Curling Cream ($6-7), Curls Blueberry Bliss Twist-N-Shout Cream ($10-15)
3. Perm Rods
3. Fine-tooth rat tail comb
4. Spray bottle
Stay tuned to see how these products can help create a beautiful, natural looking perm rod set!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! If this video helps you with your next perm rod set, make sure to comment or tag me on social media so I can see your final results!